Following months of consultation with internal constituencies and negotiation with the three key unions represented at Wits, I am pleased to announce that all three unions have signed the salary agreement for 2014. A multi-year salary agreement will be concluded by 31 March 2014.
The details of the agreement are summarised below:
SALARY INCREASES FOR ACADEMIC STAFF
All academic staff members are to receive:
- 5.80% as a CPI increase,
- 0.56% as a higher education sector movement adjustment,
- 0.20% for teaching and/or supervision, and
- 0.10% for administrative and service duties.
All eligible academic staff members are also to receive 0.20% for research output (allocated to all rated researchers and academic staff with a record of three publications over a three-year period – i.e. covering the years 2010, 2011 and 2012). Those with shorter periods of employment at the University but with research outputs will be considered on a pro-rata basis for this factor.
Those academic staff whose salaries fall below the 0.90 comparative ratio after applying the CPI and sector movement adjustments, will have their salaries adjusted to the 0.90 comparative ratio of the midpoint of the salary scales.
SALARY INCREASES FOR SUPPORT STAFF
Salary increases for support staff members are as follows:
- 5.8% for all Support Services employees whose salaries are above the maximum of their respective scales,
- 6.0% for all Support Services employees whose salaries are within their respective salary scales, and
- 6.2% for all Support Services employees who are considered to be in possession of scarce skills as defined in the Remuneration and Reward Policy on the recommendation of the relevant Dean or Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
- The following allowances will increase by 6% for 2014: Dog handlers, drivers, operators, meal allowances (per shift), night shift, and night work.
The categories of statutory and additional leave will be collapsed into a single leave category which will be known as vacation leave. Should an employee’s services be terminated, for whatever reason recognised in law, a maximum of fifteen days salary in lieu of leave not taken will be paid out.
The parking fees for December 2014 will be waived for all staff members who would normally pay fees for parking.
Please direct any enquiries related to the salary negotiation process to Prof. Tawana Kupe, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Finance, Human Resources and Transformation on (011) 717-1141 or email Tawana.Kupe@wits.ac.za
Professor Adam Habib
Vice-Chancellor and Principal
10 December 2013
- Vice-Chancellor’s Circular No. 5 – Admissions, enrolment and dependant’s bursaries
- Speech by Prof. Adam Habib delivered at the Wits Memorial Service for Tata Nelson Mandela